Sunday, October 13, 2019

I love Aviation (and Elvis)



Besides art and trying to find that significant other in my life (still looking), aviation consumes my free time. I watch aviation channels on YouTube, I collect aviation related art and aviation paraphernalia. I have a job in the aviation industry and of course I create aviation related art. So is this an interest or is this an obsession? I believe that it’s an interest, a consuming interest nonetheless, but not an obsession. I have an obsession (Elvis Presley), so I know the difference.

(c) 2019 by Michael Hopkins
                                                        
                                     
(c) 2019 by Michael Hopkins

(c) 2019 by Michael Hopkins

It’s a blessing that I work in the aviation industry, it feeds my creative addiction. My job also serves as creative inspiration for my aviation related art. So it’s no coincidence, that when I first started working in the aviation related industry in 2011, I also created my webcomic, Missed Approach.







Looking back, it’s also no coincidence, that the fire in my soul (that helped me create Missed Approach, turned into a mere smolder, when I left the aviation industry and started bartending. While bartending, I was often asked, “why don’t you start a webcomic about bartending?”  Easy answer..
I loathed bartending. It was a job that paid the bills. One can also look back at the time and see that my artistic creativity diminished

Unfortunately for most artists, until they are financially successful in the chosen field, they must work a side gig (a real job) until their creative side can (hopefully) one day can pay the bills. It’s a fact of life. The key to not destroying and crushing your creativity, while you are working that side gig, is to find a job that you can enjoy and at the same time, ignites your creativity. The good news is that I realized this prior to stepping off the cliff last summer. As such, since I left bartending and got back into the aviation industry, my artistic creativity (and not to mention, my happiness) has flourished once again. So I guess there’s a lesson to be learned. One needs to find happiness for their creativity to prosper (i.e., if you're miserable in life, if will reflect in your creativity or lack of..). 

I’m sure there are exceptions. Scholars would say, the most notable exception was, Vincent van Gogh. History books have told us, that he was not a happy man when he created the greatest masterpieces of all time. That is the prevailing belief. I disagree. Through years of being fascinated by his art, I believe that he painted what made him happy. He had found his happiness and shared it with us.  However, the “scholars” have chosen to focus not on what was in his heart, but focus instead on history's observations of a man who did not meet their definition of joyful person. 

People who are not creative, should not judge the creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment