Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Continuous Repetitiveness


I've got a headache...

Continuous repetitiveness is my kryptonite...at work or just in my daily life.  Which is probably the reason I'm currently not in a relationship or retired from one job,  that been doing for 40 years of my life. I can't handle it. Even in everyday life, if I get into a continuous repetitive situation, I can feel myself losing it. That's one of the reasons I was in the hospitality industry for over 30 years. When you work in that industry, no two days are ever the same...and I enjoyed that. It's the same with drawing. Either creating a new drawing or especially drawing event caricatures. One might think that sitting for two or three hours drawing caricatures is constant repetitiveness, however I disagree. I believe each caricature and each person you're drawing is unique. In fact, the part I love most about drawing at my events, is getting to know these unique individuals. I use this knowledge I obtain, when I create their caricature. You see, I'm not only drawing the face I'm looking at, I also try to capture the unique personality behind that face. Of course, because I have a limited amount of time to draw each caricature, I have to capture this personality and put it on paper  within 5 to 7 minutes. Believe it or not, I can learn quite a lot in 5 to 7 minutes...and I usually capture their personality within the first minute.


As I was drinking my coffee this morning, I watched a mini-documentary (or maybe it was just a news segment) on YouTube.  It was about the company, Amazon and their takeover of the shopping and delivery industry (at least that's what I gathered from the segment). It was titled something like, "How Amazon Delivers Your Packages Overnight ". However there was much more to this story than the title lead you to believe (whether that was intentional or just my inner conspiracy theorist, talking to me).The show appeared under "recommended" viewing on my YouTube account (or that's what they'd have you believe). I'm sure this was intentional, because lately I've been binge watching, dead mall exploring on YouTube.  Obviously,  one of the reasons malls are closing (and for that matter, retail stores in general i.e.Sears, Kmart, Macy's, Toys R Us....) is Amazon and to a lesser extent, other online retail shopping. But Amazon is 800 pound gorilla...or is it?? I dont think so, I believe the real mall and retail killer is lazy consumerism...and our 800 pound fat butt culture. We love to plant those fat butts, in front of our computers and shop online. It's much easier than getting dressed, combing your hair, brushing your teeth, driving to the store (or the mall) and visiting Sears (you better hurry though, soon you won't be able to visit Sears...THEY'RE DISAPPEARING!!!). Jeff Bezos and his minions at Amazon are not the problem, they're just making our laziness much easier and more convenient. If were going to blame Mr. Bezos for our laziness, let's not forget Ray Kroc, Henry Ford and Ms. Elizabeth McPhearson - Ophelia (she invents time travel, 187 years from now).

Where is this all headed? Watch the animated film, Wall - E. It’s 2008's, 1984.



Now I'm going to go online and order some aspirin.

Till next time!






No comments:

Post a Comment