Monday, January 20, 2020

I Love Good Cookies

I am a Caricaturist.





No, this blog is not about self discovery (I already know I'm a Caricaturist) it's more about realization and maybe a little frustration.  I guess I could compare myself to an actor who is very successful making comedy movies, however he wants to do Shakespeare. So he try's it and although he receives critical acceptance,  he goes back to making successful comedies. The reason is simple, you can buy much better cookies with a successful box office comedy than you can with a half empty theater, albeit critically acclaimed Shakespearean performance.

My William Shakespeare is Bill Watterson.  His comic strip, Calvin and Hobbes,  was (in my world) Romeo and Juliet. His work inspired me to create my webcomic. Missed Approach and the reason I'll probably continue to struggle creatively between my webcomic and my caricatures. Why, you might ask, do I struggle creatively when I'm so inspired by the art of Bill Watterson?? Well, two reasons. First reason, i love good cookies. Secondly, I hold one artist in higher regard than Bill Watterson...that man is the late, Al Hirschfeld.


If you don't know his genius, look him up (or watch the 1996 documentary, The Line King). I consider Mr. Hirschfeld's creations in the same realm as an Vincent Van Gogh's creations. He is the reason I draw caricatures,...that and the fact that I love good cookies.

The struggle continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment