Saturday, August 19, 2023

The North American XB-70 by Michael Hopkins



North American XB-70



My drawing of the North American XB-70, had its genesis in my childhood. I grew up near Seattle in the 1960's and 1970's surrounded by aviation. As a child I was always fascinated with aviation. The aviation era that captured my interest the most was the late 1950's and 1960's. The aircraft of that era were and still are my favorites. Some of my favorites included the Boeing Company's 707, 727 and B-52, Convair's B-58 Hustler, the British Concorde SST and of course, the unfulfilled dream of Boeing's SST, the 2707 (see below)

Boeing's SST, the 2707

But perhaps my favorite aircraft of that era was the North American XB-70 Valkyrie. The XB-70 Valkyrie was the prototype of the planned B-70 supersonic strategic bomber. It was being built for the United States Air Force's, Strategic Air Command (which, by the way, is also the same name of one of my favorite movies from that era, starring James Stewart). The XB-70 was designed in the late 1950's. The Valkyrie had six engines and was capable of cruising over Mach 3 (is that awesome or what!!). So with all that awesomeness, how could one not be inspired??? 

My original drawing and color and black & white prints of the Valkyrie XB-70 are available at The Michael Caricatures Online Store



No comments:

Post a Comment