Wednesday, October 16, 2024

The Peter Principle and Bowling

From way back, when I was a Hotel General Manager, to just noticing it again last week, there’s one constant in The Michael Hopkins’ Management Observation Theory. That constant is, you can always spot supervisor whose reached their *Peter Principle. 

*The Peter Principle states that an employee continues to receive promotions to work in higher ranks up to that point where he reaches a level of incompetence. In simple terms, the higher the hierarchy ladder an individual goes, the more likely he is to fail in his new position

According to my theory, the first sign is when the newly promoted supervisor tries to look important. One method for achieving this important look is to purposely pace back and forth while talking on their cell phone, with an annoyed look on their face (I believe this is directly inspired by the George Costanza theory that if he looks annoyed people will think he's busy).


These lost souls perform this ritual in front of the people they’re supervising (trying to look as though the fate of the world is in their hands), trying to look important and awe inspiring (i.e.,“Gee, look at that Supervisor! They must be important, they’re talking on their cell phone to someone who’s giving him vital instructions that pertain to the end of the world!!), When in actuality, it’s probably their mom on the phone. 

Below is my latest drawing, it is a caricature of my son. My son’s a brilliant individual, who’s currently serving his country in the U.S. Navy. I created this drawing when he asked me for a caricature of his alter ego (a musician who’ll make his mark on this world after his time with the Navy). It's definitely him, sans the current U.S. Navy hairstyle...



It's currently pouring down rain in Reno, Nevada and I'm watching The PBA Foxx View Lanes Open on YouTube (and finishing this blog posting). I think this tournament was  played last week?? That doesn't bother me as I have it on for background noise while I'm working. I do like bowling, both watching the professionals and bowling myself. At best, Im an average bowler. The average bowler in the PBA (Professional Bowlers Association) makes about as much as I do, delivering Jet A to aircraft so people can pay exorbitant prices to travel uncomfortably to various destinations...

And now the list you all have been waiting for, The Michael Hopkins Cartoons Blog Favorite Professional Bowlers

Male
  • Brad Miller
  • EJ Tackett
  • Wes Malott
  • Kris Prather
Female
  • Dasha Kovalova
  • Verity Crawley
  • Daria Pajak
  • Danielle McEwan
That's enough rambling for now, I'm going to bed...


No comments:

Post a Comment