Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Getting It Right

I just completed my latest and maybe one of my greatest caricatures, Cheap Trick.



I started this caricature on May 9th 2021 and finished on May 10th of (a lot of work). My caricature of one of the greatest rock and roll bands in history (featuring guitarist, Rick Nielsen, Robin Zander and bassist Tom Petersson) was created on 11" × 14" Canson Illustration board, with pen & ink and a slight wash. In case you noticed, I left out the drummer. This was on purpose, as a nod to drummer, Bun E. Carlos, who (unfortunately) no longer tours with the band. 


Why do I think this is one of my greatest caricatures? Well, there are several reasons...First off, I love the feel of the drawing, it has life. There's a dance (i.e., a liveliness to this drawing). Some drawings, although technically correct, are just drawings and nothing more...and kind of boring. I am not immune to creating boring drawings. I have created them and although I still have them, you probably won't see them (or at least, you've only seen them once). I like all of my creations, however some bring me joy and happiness, while others...well, meh. However, this little masterpiece is nothing but happiness. When I create a work of art that has life, I can usually tell long before I finish the drawing and when this happens, I get so immersed in the creative process, that I find it difficult to get up from the drawing table and do anything else in my life. When that type of drawing is completed (although it never really is), I can look back at the drawing and I can tell where my head was and what inspired the drawing. This doesn't necessarily mean, I was in a good place or a bad place, it just means I was at a place in my life that inspired me to create that drawing. Not only can joy inspire, any kind of emotion can inspire creation. This caricature was inspired by struggle and yet, this drawing makes me smile and brings me happiness. Another reason I love this drawing was that it was created with a pen, pen nibs, a paint brush and India ink. I consider this technique, the classic technique and I think the drawing reflects that classic look.



This drawing will soon be available at the Michael Hopkins Caricatures Online Store (https://michaelhopkinscaricatures.ecwid.com/) along with other inspired drawings. The original will be available for sale, along with prints. Please visit the Michael Hopkins Caricatures Online Store and if you have any questions concerning an original or print you're interested in, please contact me personally at scribblesisme@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment