Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Fuck Cancer

I’m taking a small break from The Daily Planet today and tomorrow as I'm resting from some minor skin cancer surgery (which is also why there was no blog yesterday). Although it doesn't feel minor to my shoulder, apparently this skin cancer is relatively common. The type of skin cancer I have is called, Carcinoma. Here’s a description for you…

"Carcinoma is cancer that forms in epithelial tissue. Epithelial tissue lines most of your organs, the internal passageways in your body (like your esophagus), and your skin. Most cancers affecting your skin, breasts, kidney, liver, lungs, pancreas, prostate gland, head and neck are carcinomas 

Most cases of squamous cell carcinoma can be cured when found early (mine was) and treated properly. Today, many treatment options are available, and most are easily performed at a doctor's office (mine was again)"


Anyways, I’ll find out in about two weeks how successful things went, which I'm pretty confident things went well. I have a great Doctor, and his assistant and himself performed the surgery in his office, with very little discomfort. The worst part of the visit was the injection of the Lidocaine to numb the area being cut and that wasn't really that bad at all, basically it stings.

Although it was minor, whenever you hear the diagnosis of cancer, it makes you think about life and where you are in your journey and all you have planned for the future and have yet to accomplish. It made me think about how precious life is and the fact that we don't have forever. I have so much left to accomplish, I had better get busy. 

Another thing that crossed my mind is the size of my goals. I’ve come to realize that the loftier the goal, the harder I work to achieve my goals. Recently (maybe because of my age), I've lowered my goals and expectations. I think this was a bad move because when I lowered my goals, I came to realize that I haven't worked as hard to achieve them. This was probably because (logically) the lowered expectations were easier to achieve. The cancer diagnosis made me realize I still want a lot out of life. So starting today, I’m starting over…





No comments:

Post a Comment