Monday, May 22, 2023

McCaricature


blog·ger
noun
"a person who regularly writes material for a blog".


It seems that I'm at my best when I ignore the lines...and if not my best at least my most satisfying. Lines tend to put me in a box and keep me inline (Duh!). However, when I ignore boundaries, I have more fun and I find the final outcome of my drawing is more satisfying. For example (technically speaking) my Prince drawing is perfection 


However,  it is not my most satisfying accomplishment. That designation would be assigned to my Kurt Cobain drawing, even with its imperfection. This drawing's subtitle is "Perfect Imperfection”



I have the same feelings about my Event Caricatures.  When I first started drawing event caricatures, I had a formula that I followed. Although the drawings turned out ok and I could draw them quickly (most event coordinators want quantity over quality) they looked “formulaic” (i.e., conventional, average, common, commonplace, customary, cut-and-dried, everyday, garden-variety, imitative, mechanical, normal, plain, routine, run-of-the-mill, standard, stock, undistinguished, unexceptional, unoriginal, unremarkable - Dictionary.com). Although I saw the light of the, Almighty Caricature God and was saved from a life of uninspired caricatures, unfortunately there’s still a lot of lost souls out there producing uninspired, formulaic McCaricatures (I think of them as the McDonalds of Caricature Artists) and they rule the marketplace. You see them at amusement parks, on Fremont street in Las Vegas, in fact they’re everywhere, because they're nice, inexpensive and non-offensive. However, they're pretty damn boring.


No offense to the person who produced this caricature down at Disney Planet, but I have a question, why's the head so large?? Was the artist making fun of a woman with macrocephaly? Nope! The artist was following standard caricature guidelines (rule #23A to be specific) in the book, "How to Draw Uninspired Caricatures"

Apparently people (and the Disney Corporation) appreciate uninspired things. That’s obviously why God made Justin Bieber, voters elected Joe Biden (or did they??) and why people watch Jimmy Fallon. Don't agree with me? Consider these three top selling cars.



I would imagine you know someone who owns one of these vehicles (or one that looks just like it) Unless of course you're a man with a  a small penis, then you probably purchased an oversized truck (and if your penis really tiny, you hang a set of “truck nutz” under the trailer hitch).

God Bless America....


No comments:

Post a Comment