Monday, March 23, 2020

Unplanned 3-Day Weekend

Good morning! At this time of day, I’m usually headed to my side gig (fueling airliners), however there are substantially less airliners to fuel these days, so I get an unplanned 3-day weekend. With an unplanned 24 hours of time on my hands, I decided that instead of sitting around and binge watching the entire nine seasons of The Office (again), I'm instead, going to write in my blog and draw some more pictures. 

This has been a very productive weekend for drawing. I created two drawings that I’m very proud of (which is unusual for me, given the fact that it usually takes me a while to appreciate the drawing I create). This is a major accomplishment for me and a huge step forward. The two drawings I created are both caricatures, an Aviation Caricature and Human Caricature

The Aviation Caricature is of a McDonnell Douglas KC-10 Extender. This caricature originated from a conversation that took place at my most recent event, the wedding reception of Rachel and Garrett. While drawing caricatures of Garrett’s brother Colt and his girlfriend Hannah, the topic of aviation came up. Unbeknownst to me, Colt, was a USAF pilot who flies the KC-10. 

Of course being the aviation nerd that I am, this piqued my curiosity and we had very interesting discussion about the USAF tanker and the future of tankers, including, the Boeing KC-46 Pegasus (which is another interesting story in itself https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/broken-boeing-airplanes-are-going-military-thanks-corruption-bad-decisions-ncna1153671 ) While discussing his profession, we shared some ideas, including my idea of going to air shows and drawing caricatures on drawing paper that are pre-printed with different caricatures of airplanes. Colt shared some interesting ideas as well, including the fact that he believes that there is a significant market for aviation caricatures among pilots. So we’ll see what develops from our conversation. In the meantime, here’s the first result of Colt and I’s conversation….



As for the other drawing, I really can't say much...except for the fact that this woman is a dear friend and a beautiful person. Inside and out :)



So now that I've written in the ole’ blog, time to throw on some, Laurel and Hardy and start drawing. I have to be back at work in 22 hours…

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment