Sunday, August 9, 2020

A Man's Gotta Know His Limitations

 Hello Blogosphere!


It’s Sunday, it must be time for another blog!


Another productive week for the world of, The Michael Hopkins Cartoons Blog. I completed two caricatures (one aviation caricature and one regular caricature). OK, maybe not "productive" in the sense that I accomplished a lot. However, "productive" in the sense that I completed two very good caricatures. 


My first Caricature is of Alice Cooper. I’ve been trying to capture Alice Cooper for a very long time and I finally succeeded!


My second caricature is that of a Boeing 777X. This drawing was inspired by watching aviation videos on YouTube. 

I'm still having a difficult time getting the ball rolling on my webcomic, Missed Approach. I don’t know what it is, however at this point in time, I’m not getting any enjoyment from that webcomic. As such, if I’m not getting any enjoyment from it, I fear you may not be either. I believe the problem is the format (i.e., it’s a “strip”). Drawing a strip takes an enormous amount of time and energy. After 8 hours of fueling airlines (my secret identity job) and taking care of other things in my life, I'm left with about 4 hours a night to draw. Out of that four hours, I need to find time for all aspects of my art, including,


  • The Michael Hopkins Cartoons Blog.

  • Michael Hopkins Aviation Caricatures

  • Michael Hopkins Original Pen & Ink Caricatures

  • Michael Hopkins Event Caricatures


Included in all of the above aspects of my art. I have to find time to market, post and update each individual website that corresponds to each of those aspects of my art. So what I’m trying to do at the moment is scheduling each aspect of my art with a specific day (i.e., Monday draw and aviation Caricature. Tuesday draw and Pen & Ink Caricature...and so on…). Therein lies the problem. Creating a work of art takes inspiration, and inspiration doesn't always follow a schedule. You can't say, “on Tuesday I’m going to come up with Aviation Caricature!”. Inspiration doesn't follow a schedule, it’s random and you never know when it’s going to happen. I admire people like Charles Schulz (Peanuts) and Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes) who for years had to schedule inspiration to a timeline and somehow pulled it off with amazing results!


Although I’ve faced this cold reality before, maybe a webcomic isn’t for me.


As Dirty Harry once said...





No comments:

Post a Comment