Saturday, January 2, 2021

A New Year...Changes

Prior to my latest epiphany, I believed that the value of something was based on what someone would pay for it. Based on that mindset, I priced my Original Pen & Ink Caricatures on what I thought someone would pay for them and priced my art as such, with little regard to my true feelings for what I thought my art was actually worth. By following this pricing structure, I actually gave the power of placing value (or worth) on my art, to others. As such, I have often felt that my art was undervalued (yeah, I know...boo hoo, poor me). No longer...

I have decided to change my pricing structure. By making this change, I risk not selling my art to those that disagree with it’s value and that's ok. My art is now priced on my opinion of my art’s worth. I have decided that preserving my art’s value is more important to me than selling my art to others (at what I believe is an undervalued price). I would rather sell a few pieces of my art to patrons who really appreciate it (and agree with my value), rather than sell it to the masses, who don’t appreciate my art at the same value I place on it. 

In step with this change (and going forward), I am no longer going to create and sell prints of my new, Original Pen & Ink Caricatures. This will in turn, preserve (and maybe increase) the value of my originals to those who purchase my art, as they will truly be a, “one of a kind” work of art. 

*Note. I will still sell prints of my Aviation Caricatures (and try to keep them as reasonably priced as possible), as I view them more of an expressive outlet, and a way to share my love of aviation (which is also why I created my webcomic, “Missed Approach”). P.S., this is also the reason I’m fueling airplanes at 3am each morning, Matt…

So this is a beginning. The beginning of a change in the way I live my life. The way I do things, why I do things. I am no longer going to to live the status quo and do what is expected of me. From today forward, I will follow the path I choose to follow, not the one that is expected of me, but the one that I want.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover." 

--Mark Twain



2 comments: